Friday, April 27, 2012

Three Pigs Project Aftermath.

Well the activity with the kids went well. It's interesting to hear the comments from kids about your work especially if they don't know you were the one who drew it. They were told they had a "professional artist" draw them (hardly). Immediately the critics began questioning the content.

One kid, pointing to the big bad wolf page, "Seriously?" (that one made me laugh). Another kid, "you said there were three pigs and I only count two houses!" (there were three, he just hadn't gotten all the way through). And another, "these two pigs don't look little, you said it was 'The Three Little Pigs.'"

Once the initial critiques faded the story was read to them. Here is where I felt I failed. I made the pages based on my own memory of the story and not off any source material. The story that was read was pulled randomly off the Internet, which has numerous continuity difference from my 9 illustrations. I think the version read was some orignal Brothers Grimm version because there was much more murdering in that story than I drew.

The kids liked it in the end and it was fun seeing them pour over the drawings. I found the critcism from kids rather refreshing even if some of them were misplaced. Kid's have a great and sometimes annoying ability to tell the truth regardless of whether you asked them for it or not. It's not candy coated and for the most part it's honest. If given the opportunity I would definitely do it again... I'll just make sure the correct story is read.

No comments:

Post a Comment